Friday, September 15, 2006

Morbid Curiosity

In ten days, I’ll be going under the knife. I’ll be under anaesthesia for at least 6 hours. I’ll be having a tonsillectomy, adenoidectomy, septoplasty, and a bunch of sinus related procedures I’m not quite sure how to spell or look up.

Sorry. :(

And...for some inexplicable reason...I’m looking at all of this and thinking...well, in short, I’m thinking, ‘So...yeah...I could die. I haven’t been working out like I used to...I responded badly the last time they put me under...for an hour...and that was when I was running for hours a day.’

Yeah, long story short. Not so great with the feelings about surgery.

And, just to be clear. I get that I’m not making sense. I get that my logic is flawed. Doesn’t change the fact that I’ve been watching medical surgeries and considering my own mortalities.

For God’s sake, my fingernails are black. Which...scarily enough, I don’t know that I’ve ever had before.

Right...okay...off this rant.

Um....

OH!

I saw Hollywoodland on Sunday with my Father. I have very mixed feelings about the film. Starting with: Ben Affleck may be the best part about the whole film. In a film also staring Adrien Brody, Diane Lane, Bob Hoskins, and Robin Tunney...not to mention a guy that’s had a soft spot in my heart ever since Romeo + Juliet, Dash Mihok...the whole Ben Affeck thing is saying a lot.

Like, a lot, a lot. Apparently, I’m not the only one, though, since the Venice Film Festival pretty much felt the same way. Best actor? Over all the other actors in all the other movies there?? Okay, if y’all say so...

I have to say this now...and, realize I’m saying this thinking most of my movie going friends will bash me over the head—but, then again, I may be dead in 10 days, so what’s the point in lying, right?? Right!


The movie disappointed me. I realize they really don’t know what happened with George Reeves, I also realize that Brody has a long nose. I don’t, however, see why either of these things had to take such a front-seat viewing in this film. My father—who saw the flick with me—couldn’t get his ADHD under control long enough to watch more than 20 minutes at a time. This is the same guy who sat through a full (and all male) production of Edward II at the Globe.


Clearly there is something amiss with Hollywoodland. Which is sad, really. This flick could have been so much more...but it just...I donno, wasn’t? Yeah...it just plain wasn’t. It didn’t live up to the tension and creepy, old Hollywood mystery it could have evoked.


Which leads me to film number two...which, actually, I saw first. The Covenant, a flick about four male witches who hale from four of the five ancient witching families (the fifth witch being the John Putnam that was hanged during the Salem witch trials. Relationship to the infamous Ann Putnom, anyone?).

Oh, dear lord, how this film reminded me of why I loved swimmers. Need a visual? How’s this?

http://images.google.ca/images?q=tbn:vi__Go_OoRRszM:http://www.taylorkitsch.com/images/taylor27.jpg


OMG, if I could only express the feelings of lust that washed through me when I saw the boy above, plus the lead, Steven Strait, in teeny-tiny, Speedo like swim shorts. Totally wanted to pull down their waistbands...you know...for...uh...medical knowledge purposes...er...yeah, nevermind.


Hey!

As Lana once said... “Those hip indentions...that you can, like, hold onto, while they’re thrusting? Yeah, that’s hott.”


Yes Lana, that is hott. Which is probably why I was giggling and reaching toward the screen like I was a three-year-old in a 3-D movie. I totally tried to pull down their waistbands.


WHAT?!

I’m just being honest. They have AMAZING bodies, I’m not allowed to be like, whoa, you’re hott? Yeah, that’s what I thought.


For all you boys out there (um, and girls, of that certain persuasion) don’t you worry, there’s enough chicks flouncing around in lingerie and wearing skirts with no underwear for you to be plenty hormoned up as well. :) )

Moving on.


So the moive itself wasn’t awful, like the critics are trying to say. It’s definitely an entertainment flick. No Oscars in this pictures future...but, that’s not what it was trying for. Sure, it’s not scary. (Well, okay, the spiders up the nose and in the ears scared me, but I’m special.) Honestly, I don’t think it was supposed to be scary. I think it was supposed to be a fun, witchy, summer/fall flick that entertained. And that, my friends, it does.


And you know it’s something when I would say go see The Covenant over Hollywoodland.


Right so...besides all that. I also just finished reading, The Prestige. Clearly, I only read this book because I am dying to see the movie. After reading the novel, all I can say is, “Holy shit, are we ever in for a wild ride.” I have no idea how they plan to adapt this, and only hope Chris Nolan did his homework. This isn’t the type of stuff you play around with. Seriously. The book haunted me. Like, will never forget it as long as I live, haunted me.


On that note...if I don’t survive this operation, at least let me live on as a Prestige...as a figment of magic left behind by the people that actually matter...that actually make things important.


And if I do...let me finally find the path that leads me to the Prestige I was always meant to leave behind...

C

Quote of the Moment:
“You...naked...on top of me...is about the best thing I can think of at the moment.”
Soundtrack of the Moment: Hinder, “The Lips of an Angel”
TV/Movie Quote: From The Covenant: Reid Garwin: Harry Potter can kiss my ass.

No comments: