Tuesday, July 17, 2007

It’s That Time Again!

Catch-up time!

Right, so I’m super behind on the blogging. I apologize, as this was not at all intentional. Life has really been finding a way to kick my ass lately. No excuses, I’m just busy and feel like work is trying to suck every fiber of joy and excitement from my body. You know, the usual.

So, this is probably going to be abrupt and choppy, but it will, thankfully, bring us all up to date. Let’s get started, shall we?

ATSOU – I’m working off of my first edit notes and trying to make the things that didn’t quite make sense, make sense. It’s a lagging process, but has its humorous moments. I mean, for a good seventy pages or so, I substituted the word “fury” for “furry.” It’s extremely funny to be reading along happily, then see something like, “Her furry frightened me.” HA! I’m really dragging my feet on the summery, but I’ve set all my due date goals to the Civic Holiday (Aug 6th), so the end is in sight…one way or another.

School – I’ve accepted York University’s offer of admittance into their Honors psych program. I’ve still got a one-on-one with an advisor to discuss my options and course plan, but it’s nice to have that one thing finished and not hanging over my head. I’m still not sure whether or not I’m going to try and do a full course load or not, but they’ve accepted about two years out of my prior coursework…so I’m only really looking at two years for my degree…

Music – Been listening to a bunch of different things lately. Lilly Allen, Amy Winehouse, Lit, the new Evanescence, FlyLeaf, and the new Kelly Clarkson. I can’t help but notice that most of these aren’t exactly the most “uplifting” offerings. I suppose it has a lot to do with my mood, but it brings up the old debate of whether sad songs help a sad mood, or push you deeper into it. Personally, I’m undecided. Sometimes I feel comforted by it, like a little reminder to myself that I’m not alone in my sorrow. Other times, though, I feel the downward pull of depression as strongly as a riptide. Or maybe that would be there anyways. Who knows?

Reunion – I went home for the ten-year reunion of Class Act Productions. It’s insane how much that organization has changed since it was started a million years ago. I was fourteen-fifteen when I got cast in their first play, Bye-bye Birdie. In some ways, that seems like such a long time ago, yet in others… I thought I was such an adult back then. It’s funny to realize how little I really knew…even about myself and the person I wanted to be. It was really nice to see some of the people who I worked/played with back then, in school as well as in Class Act. Nice to see how everyone is doing and what everyone is up to. Of course…I couldn’t sit through two hours of singing, so I cut out early. “Early,” being a relative term considering I got back to Mom’s place just short of 11pm. I’m glad I went, and I wish all of you well…


Movies – After quite a little while out of the theatre, I went on a binge and saw quite a few shows. Here’s a quick rundown of each:

Live Free or Die Hard. I rather enjoyed the flick, despite a few moments of eye rolling disbelief. Why must they put Bruce Willis on a jet fighter while it’s flying in the air?? How does that even make sense?!?! Right, it’s just a movie, moving on. The story itself, while being as contrived as the prior three, was certainly interesting and enjoyable. McClane no longer smokes—which was nice—or swears—which was just plain weird. Another thing…the kid who plays the Mac on those PC verses Mac commercials plays the computer-savvy sidekick to McClain. Come on! That’s funny! My final verdict on this one is, if you liked any of the other three movies, you’ll also like this one.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. As always, with these moves, I find myself wishing I had a less solid memory. It’s been at least a year since I last worked my way through the novel of the same name, but I remembered every difference between the book and the movie. Some of the differences bothered me. A LOT. I was, however, pleasantly surprised to see Daniel Radcliffe morphing into an actual “leading man” type. It will be interesting to see where things go from here. Also, with the final book hitting shelves midnight Saturday, the movie did really help me get back into the world of Wizards and Muggles. All in all, three stars out of five.

Transformers. Okay. I realize that this movie isn’t, you know, an award winner. It was still really, really good. I even almost cried!! And I don’t really do so much of the crying during movies. It’s one of my things. Anyways, I have only two complaints with this flick. The first being simply that some of the action was so fast I needed some sort of marker to indicate who were the “bad” robots and who were the “good” robots. Right, seriously, was driving me nuts. The other thing was the chemistry between the two leads seemed to basically not be there. All in all these were minor issues that barely made an impact on the overall genius of the movie. Four stars outta five.

Ratatouille. I have to say I was visually please with the latest offering from Pixar(Http). The story came over well, too. Even so, I have to say that I was disappointed. I expected something more humorous. More quick jokes, more wink-wink snarkism that I think they’ve become famous for. I really think they were worried because of the whole “rat in the kitchen” thing. Yeah, that’s gross, but is it really something that needs to be handled with kid gloves? Is it any stranger than vegetarian sharks (Finding Nemo), or living toys (Toy Story)? Maybe I’m just biased after having hamsters and bunnies, but those tiny mammals certainly seem cleaner than some people I could think of. This one gets a three-and-a-half.

There’s more, but I think that about covers everything I might reference in the next few blogs. As such, I’m cutting this off here. And look at that. Just under two pages.

Amazing. ;)

Quote of the Moment:

[walking through the mall, a group of tweens running around screaming]
MGFM: Do you have a rock?
Ms. I: To throw at the children?
MGFM: Yep.
Ms. I: Just checking.
Soundtrack of the Moment: Kelly Clarkson, Sober
TV/Movie Quote: Transformers: “Sam 'Spike' Witwicky: [to Mikaela when she doesn't want to get back in Bumblebee] Fifty years from now, when you're looking back at your life, don't you want to be able to say you had the guts to get in the car?”

No comments: