Monday, November 03, 2008

Halloween Stardust

Halloween is here! Yea, Halloween. It’s so fun to play as another person…even if you can’t find one of the two required fangs to be a vampire…and end up just being a witch instead. Don’t ask, don’t tell, kinda thing. :p (Actually it’s more a ‘I have no clue how one fang disappeared in the course of a year…and maybe I don’t want to know,' thing.)

I got about the nicest rejection letter EVER yesterday. To quote: “We have carefully read your story and while it has merit, it is not exactly what we are looking for at this time. Your writing style is commendable and we would encourage you to send other stories that you feel might be appropriate.”

Nice, right? See, this is why I’m not disappointed. I’ve been told that if they write back at all, you’re doing something right, but this seemed above and beyond the basic form letter.

Moving on.

I’m officially working again. Chapters has declared me one of their own. I wish I could express to everyone how much I love this job. Honestly, I feel like I’m at home, when I’m working. I recommend books, put things in order, and make sure everything looks pretty. My life rocks. It’s a little silly, really, how excited/happy I am to be doing another hourly/retail gig, but I can’t deny that I am, in fact, enjoying myself. Everyone is an English major or a grad student…there is even a real live author running around and making an impact. What more could a girl like me ask for?

Seriously, I feel like I’ve gone to Mecca, and am now surrounded by all “my people.” Everyone seems to like me, and most everyone seems to have my sense of humor. I’m not even going to get into the cute boy who works at the attached Starbucks who I happen to find super cute. (Clearly, I found him cute before I started working there, it’s just more of an opportunity now that I actually work NEAR him. :P )

I’ll update when/if more info becomes available.

Recently read Stardust. I liked it lots, but—oddly enough—I actually liked the movie better. That has happened to me only twice, this being one of the two times. The other was the Princess Bride. In that instance, it may have just been that I knew the movie so well, I could recite it, and the book didn’t exactly match. For Stardust, I think the story was just better served in the movie. Plus, it’s hard to go wrong with De Niro, Pfeiffer, Danes, O’Toole, Henry Cavill, Ricky Gervais, and relatively new (but hot) Ben Barnes. Oh, and there’s Unicorns (In both versions, actually, but movie Unicorns rock my world! Parenthetical shout-out to Legend! Yea!).

Shut up! Unicorns are cool. You know you want one. You know you’ll name him “Creamed Corn.” (Don’t ask.) Or maybe “Candy Corn.” Regardless, the Unicorn is where it’s at.

*Sigh* I’m rambling, aren’t I? Well, perhaps this is the natural place to end, then….


Quote of the Moment(X3): "Part of being a narcissist is being terribly insecure. If I wasn’t so insecure about myself I wouldn’t work as hard as I do. I am constantly seeking approval."

[New hire, looking around bookstore]: “I don’t really…you know…read.”

“As always [you’re], the rock of my insanity. Um...I'm not sure that came out the way I intended it to. So...yeah, forget that. The calm in my storm!”

Soundtrack of the Moment: PCD, “Whatchamacallit”
TV/Movie Quote(X3): Stardust:
Captain Shakespeare: And, Yvaine, I have some lovely dresses; take your pick.
Yvaine: [surprised] I'm fine.
Captain Shakespeare: [quietly] Honey... you're wearing a bathrobe.

[after finding themselves stranded on a cloud]
Tristan: What the hell did you do?
Yvaine: What did I do? What did YOU do? Think of home? That was a GREAT plan! You thought of your home and I thought of mine and now we're halfway between the two!
Tristan: Well you stupid cow! What did you think of your home for?
Yvaine: You just said home! If you wanted me to think of your home you should have said!
Tristan: Some crazy lady was going to cut your heart out and you wanted more specific instructions?! Perhaps you'd want it in writing or a diagram maybe?

Yvaine: [tied up, back to back, in the pirate ship] Tell me about Victoria.
Tristan: Well, she... she... There's nothing else to tell you.
Yvaine: The little I know about love is that it's unconditional. It's not something you can buy.
Tristan: Hang on! This wasn't about me trying to buy her love. This was to prove to her how I felt.
Yvaine: Ah... And what's she doing to prove how she feels about you?
Tristan: Well... Look, Yvaine, you'll understand when you meet her, all right? If we don't get murdered by pirates first.
Yvaine: Mmm... Murdered by pirates, heart torn out and eaten, meet Victoria... I can't quite decide which sounds more fun...

No comments: