Monday, March 28, 2011

Wow

So...it's been over a year.

There was a big part of me that was ready to just let this one go. Yet I didn't. Why? Donno. Something just said, wouldn't it be funny if...

Which brings me to our next topic.

Um...I'm engaged. Hehehe. I can just see your faces! I've talked for how long about how this just wasn't for me? About how I'd never get together with a guy who wanted this?

Well, in my defense...

MFH never wanted to get married either...at least, that's what he always told me. The fist moment I ever remember really talking with him, we both agreed that there was nothing to married and all that nonsense. I have a slight suspicion that he always sort of wanted the little wifey and the three kids, but he kept it under his hat for the first majority of our dating history. I still regularly accuse him of leading me on...

So what's the story? It's long. And convoluted. I'll give you a separate example...

THE RING

So I was asked to be in my brother's (and now sister-in-law) wedding. I, of course, agreed. I'm not going to lie, it ended up being far, far crazier and more stressful than I expected...I found out the night before that the bride wanted me to do her makeup. THE NIGHT BEFORE!! I panicked about ruining her entire day. Having said that...Lindz (My sissy in all things legal) said this winter that I was, "everything you'd want in a perfect bridesmaid." What more could I ask for, honestly?

MFH went to the wedding, as my guest. Things were both tense, and stressful, as MFH was trying to make BIG impressions onto the Canadian Publishing industry. Yet...on the day...despite my pathetic deterioration into tears that is well documented, the day itself went really, really well. My favorite uncle--at least my closest uncle--was well-set to take care of me. Unfortunately this ended up being required. A longtime friend of the family asked me to a local wine bar. I agreed, excited for the potential of the night.

Oh the night...

Let me be VERY clear here, I was drunk. There was lots of fun things going on...My brothers wedding poured drinks at about 1 and 1/2 over the typical. And, since I had an average of "oh, we have to have a shot," with at least seven groups...yeah, I was drunk.

I remember asking my guy for a dance. As we were dancing he asked me to marry him. Now, dispute influence, I'd heard it before...so, of course, I said yes. (I found out later that MFH hadn't planned on asking me, it was spur of the moment.) I also found out later that after asking me, MFH talked to my Friend of the Family (FotF?) and his wife about the situation. She instantly asked about THE RING.

Well, since MFH hadn't planed to ask me then...there was no RING then. The FotF, upset, immediately pulled the RING off her finger and handed it to him. Mind you, this whole ordeal is removed from me. I had no idea until later. All I knew, was MFH got down on one knee, asked me again and handed me her/my ring.

Image:


I was VERY happy to have this ring for a year. I got complemented on it constantly. I also got to show it to any aggressive male for that time period.

I will interject here to say that I'm not a "diamond" girl. Not really okay with where they come from, nor am I okay with how they are expensive, um...intentionally. I kinda always wanted another stone...let me give you an exact wording form my spy novel: "The ruby engagement ring was one of the most beautiful things I had ever seen. A huge, princess cut, solitary ruby sat in a platinum setting high above several smaller square diamonds. Holding the ring up in profile showed two side-sitting hearts cut completely through the metal under each diamond."

Right...my "finale" ring isn't much different:


The diamond belongs to my mother. Or, at least, it's HER diamond. Still, I'm so very happy to have it. It means so much to me. I have an Heirloom so young. You know what I mean...

At the end of the day...I just hope to be there for my guy...but, more than that, I have to say I'm here for me.

He makes life easier...and if that's not a reason to get married, what is?

More to come...

- Ms.I

No comments: