Friday, May 26, 2006

Quotes, Ferritin, and Entertainment…but Not in That Order

Hello to all the beautiful people!

Okay…I know what you’re thinking—trust me, I hear it enough—but this time, I have a really, really good excuse. I have a frighteningly low Ferritin count in my body.
Average person: 40-80
Me: 14

Yeah, it’s wonderful.

The good news is this is why I’ve been so ridiculously tired and it can be fixed with some iron supplements and diet changes. The bad news, is, it’s not gonna get better over night. It sucks, just because I’d really like to be able to go a full week without sleeping a 17-hour night.

Whatever, it’s fine.

I have done a lot with my recent awake time…6 movies, 5 Atsou chapters, 4 books, 3 cds, 2 dates, and a partridge in a pear tree…er, something like that.

The movies, respectively, are Match Point, Shopgirl, Hoodwinked , Æon Flux, MI:3, and The Da Vinci Code. Loved all the older stuff…wasn’t too impressed with either new release.

One of the books, Kelley Armstrong’s latest, Broken, got read from cover to cover without pause. Maybe it’s just the fact that I got to meet the Author out here in Toronto, but I just love the way this chick writes. She makes her main character very strong and very unapologetic about it. Makes me happy. This paired up nicely with MaryJanice Davidson’s Dead and Loving It ended on a really cool note, finally bringing together her Wyndham Werewolves and Betsy Taylor’s Vamps. I tried Candace Haven’s first effort, Charmed and Dangerous, which had a lot of potential but sort of fell flat in the presentation (I hate journal style storytelling). And, finally finished the snarky nonfic about the film industry, What Just Happened?: Bitter Hollywood Tales from the Front Line. That one was kind of embarrassing in a two pronged kinda way. One, the damn thing is only 200 pages of big typeface; and two, even despite the retardedness of the industry, I still so desperately want to be a part of it.

I’ll save you the details on the rest, except to say that I really like Pink’s new release…”Dear Mr. President” makes me want to make out with the crazy bitch.

What does not make me happy, however, is recent stories of my girl, Britney. (Spears, for any of you who are confused…and if so…who the hell are you?!?!?! You certainly don’t know me, so why are you reading this?) Damn, the girl can not catch one break. Now, I’ll give you that her li’l tot has gotten a lot of publicity over mamma’s lack of parenting savvy, but come on! Lets not crucify the woman for being a first time mother. Lord knows most of us were dropped at least once, and none of our parents had the effing cameras shoved in their faces when it happened. Seriously, leave my girl alone.

Now, I’m the first person to admit that I have an amazing group of friends. They cover various countries, age ranges, and occupations. Somehow, I was lucky enough to worm my way in with each of them. But, from the snarky to the goofy, one thing has to be said about “my peeps”…they’re freaking hilarious. Want some proof? Read the following:

“Officially, I will not have a seating chart at my wedding. You fuckers can either figure it out yourselves or stand.”
“I don’t understand that…I mean, you could totally tell he wanted to do you right there on the living room floor.”
“Sorry, babe, I felt I was getting a little addicted to you.”
“She's just short, but you're LITTLE, which is different. Like you are just a regular person, compressed.”
“Do you realize that we have been actively drinking alcohol for the last fifteen hours?”
“See, the blonds have issues with you, because you bring it without the bleach and bimbo routine.”
“What the fuck is Gay Rugby?”
“DC is full of fun and Laurens.”
“Whatever, if we have different tastes in guys, it would make sense that we would have different tastes in girls.”
“Got your message and, as usually, have no idea what the hell you were saying. Call me back.”
“Jesus! I'm freaking out, and you disappear!”
“It will be fun. A good ride for old time’s sake. Then flee the country.”
“I love how you have absolutely no idea what’s going on, but you still act like you’re totally on top of things.”
“I suuuuuppose, a heart attack is a good reason not to come.”
“That's weird that customers are calling you names…just, for the record.”
“I have been with me over 2 years…um…20 years was how that was supposed to read.”
“I just happened to wake up this morning, make a stretching noise, and hear Lauren ask: "What? Are you an Ewok or something?" All on her very own...I almost cried.”
“Nah, I watch law and order. I like psych.”
“I'm happy you're not dying. That’s cool.”
“Well, pray for him and then you'll be even. What? Is that not how it works? Can pray for him spitefully? That's what I'd do.”

I leave tomorrow for Houston…so you better believe there will be more to come!

Until then…goodnight, and good luck!

Quote of the Moment: "The French love mystery, the game of seduction. That's why we respect perfume, why lingerie is so important."
Soundtrack of the Moment: City & Colour, "Save Your Scissors"
TV/Movie Quote: From Good Night, and Good Luck:

Our history will be what we make it. If we go on as we are then history will take its revenge, and retribution will not limp in catching up with us.
Just once in a while, let us exalt the importance of ideas and information.
Let us dream to the extent of saying that on a given Sunday night the time normally occupied by Ed Sullivan is given over to a clinical survey on the state of American education. And a week or two later, the time normally used by Steve Allen is devoted to a thorough-going study of American policy in the Middle East.

Would the corporate image of their respective sponsors be damaged? Would the shareholders rise up in their wrath and complain? Would anything happen other than a few million people would have received a little illumination on subjects that may well determine the future of this country and therefore the future of the corporations?

To those who say, "People wouldn't look, they wouldn't be interested, they're too complacent, indifferent and insulated," I can only reply: There is, in one reporter's opinion considerable evidence against that contention.

But even if they are right, what have they got to lose?

Because if they are right and this instrument is good for nothing but to entertain, amuse and insulate then the tube is flickering now and we will soon see that the whole struggle is lost. This instrument can teach. It can illuminate and it can even inspire. But it can do so only to the extent that humans are determined to use it towards those ends. Otherwise, it is merely wiresand lights in a box.

Good night, and good luck.

No comments: