Saturday, September 06, 2008

Atsou Playlist

Right...so it's been awhile. I have reasons, as always. I've got about a million things to talk about, so no worries, you'll get a full and complete blog (or twelve) by the end of the week.

In the mean time, this is the music that helped me to finally summarize As They Spy On Us. Some of the songs are used ironically, some are just completely in my head when I'm writing. None of them got into my brain as much as Finger Eleven's "Thousand Mile Wish." I think that song helped me through some really rough times...because I'd hear it...think of Matty and Lucas...and I'd find my way back.

In that vein, you'll see a couple bands/singers repeated...but none as much as Breaking Benjamin. The guys just seem to be dark and angsty enough to pull off whatever it is that is going on in my mind. Diary of Jane could be Lucas' theme song...if only Manhattan had a simple name like Jane. Also...Tyranny's yet unnamed story (Pretty Little Secrets? And I'll Tell You No Lies?) has mega BB influence (Lot's of the new Linkin Park, too).

Oh...right...and the whole idea of writing of spys in the first place? That came to me when I was about 16 years old and working at GAP...when the Supreme Beings of Lesure song "Never the Same" (Ha! This is my first time seeing that video. Ironic!) would play at least five times durring my shift. I had this whole other idea that morphed into Atsou...but the seed came from it, so I had to pop it in somewhere.

Yeah...I guess that's it for the Playlist commentary.

I would have linked to all of the songs individually, but there are 128 songs on this list. Google is your friend, (As is YouTube.), have at it. I've organized them into chapters...but, yeah, I can't imagine you care about any of this unless you've read it (and if you have and you care, I'll send you the Excel file with the scenes listed), so...go forth, with warnings of possible spolierage...

Prologue






BeliefGavin DeGraw



1






Old SchoolHedley




Pretty Girl (The Way)Sugarcult




The Story30 Seconds to Mars




We Used to be FriendsThe Dandy Warhols




Unlike MeKate Havnevik




TryingLifehouse



2






Until the EndBreaking Benjamin




Creeping in My SoulChristine Lorentzen




SecretThe Pierces



3






Flawed DesignStabilo




Come AlongTitiyo




Follow MeBreaking Benjamin



4






BeautifulJoyDrop




The Lost Art of Keeping a SecretQueens of the Stoneage




Here it Goes AgainOk Go




Take MePapa Roach




Spy Hunter ThemeSaliva



5






Wikked Lil' GrrrlsEsthero




Bounce With MeKreesha Turner




Feel ItJakalope



6






SleepGarbage




CrushAdelitas Ways




The Chemicals Between UsBush




Thinking Out LoudLesley Roy




MemorySugarcult




These DaysChantal Kreviazuk




We Are AlivePaul Van Dyke



7






Never the SameSupreme Beings of Leisure




Behind Blue EyesThe Who




StripperSoho Dolls




BreathBreaking Benjamin



8






Hey YouPink Floyd




I Don't CareApocalyptica




RooftopsLostprophets




How We OperateGomez




The Piano Sonata No. 14Ludwig van Beethoven










9






Born to LeadHoobastank




Blow Me AwayBreaking Benjamin




Next to NothingBreaking Benjamin



10






Here Comes the FloodPeter Gabriel




Thnks fr th MmrsFall Out Boy




Thousand Mile WishFinger Eleven




With MeSum 41




Can't Take ItThe All-American Rejects




Sad But TrueMetallica




PainThree Days Grace



11






Open Your EyesBonnie McKee




Right HereStaind




HunterDido




InnocenceAvril Lavigne




Unknown SoldierBreaking Benjamin




If I Wanted ToMelissa Etheridge




Duel of the Fates (Techno)DJ Middle Ground



12






Angel's SonSevendust




Remind MeRoyksopp




Sooner or LaterBreaking Benjamin




I'm Not OkayMy Chemical Romance



13






Halcyon + On + OnOrbital




Age of ConsentNicholas Hexum




Given UpLinkin Park




Superhero GirlEve 6




Save Your ScissorsCity and Colour



14






Everything Lifehouse




PhaseBreaking Benjamin




ScarsPapa Roach




This Could Be Anywhere in the WorldAlexisonfire



15






Long Night DreamingCrash Parallel




ThriceFirebreather




Hello GoodbyeLive on Arrival



16






CrushcrushcrushParamore




Für EliseLudwig van Beethoven




CloserLovers Electric




The Good Left UndoneRise Against



17






Mad WorldGary Jules




Cold (But I'm Still Here)Evan's Blue




Here We AreBreaking Benjamin




All Eyes on MeGoo Goo Dolls




Everybody's FoolEvanescence




Stand My GroundWithin Temptation



18






9 CrimesDamien Rice




Let the Flames BeginParamore




Devil in a Midnight MassBilly Talent



19






Better Than DrugsSkillet




All or NothingTheory of a Deadman




Flagpole SittaHarvey Danger




BirthdayThe Beatles




I Guess You're RightThe Poises



20






Sweet SacrificeEvenescence




You Could Make a KillingAimee Mann




So Far So GoodThornley




ToplessBreaking Benjamin



21






Nothing Else MattersMetallica




Out of My HeadMobile




Peace of MeNatasha Bedingfield




Breathe MeSia




Getting Away With MurderPapa Roach




ColdStatic-X



22






RequiemMozart




Dead WrongThe Fray



23






BreathingLifehouse




HysteriaMuse




Find a New WayYoung Love




BeautifulFlickerstick




RockstarPrima J




Le DiskoShiny Toy Guns



24






UnsaidThe Fray




Year Zero30 Seconds to Mars




Requiem for a Dream/Two TowersTechno Remix




Hear You MeJimmy Eat World




RunSnow Patrol




The SpyThe Doors




Up Against the WallBoys Like Girls



25






YouBreaking Benjamin




Black Roses RedAlana Grace




Ruled by SecrecyMuse




Do it or DieDie Maniquine



26






Taking Over MeEvenescence




If I Were A Rich GirlGwen Stefani




Viva la VidaColdplay




Belive The Bravery




Tyranny NormalityPapa Roach




Your Guardian AngelThe Red Jumpsuit Apparatus



27






What Ever HappenedThe Strokes




Tonight and the Rest of My LifeNina Gordon




Drive My SoulLights



Epilogue






FearSarah McLachlan



No comments: